Sunday, June 10, 2012

Powerizing a hand tool



I've started a new internship this week where I have had the pleasure of crimping hundreds and hundreds of 1/4" QCs. It really is a pleasure, no sarcasm there, but the hand crimpers are killing me, and giving me blisters.


So enter the magical world of pneumatics! below is the bimba pneumatic cylinder I will be using to modify my lame hand crimpers into awesome power crimpers!
So far my design consists of a tower to support the crimpers (or any hand tool with a lever type action) by one handle and pivoting "palm" that attaches to the other and is powered by the cylinder to drive the tool shut.
The cylinder will be actuated by a three way valve, triggered by a foot pedal.

The end product will be a powerful accessory which will power most hand tools for icreased speed and lower strain.

No comments:

Post a Comment