Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Data Radio Modems

This is a Data Radio T-96SR radio modem, they're really pretty cool. Their original application was for data collection and monitoring in oil and gas fields, and I picked two up at my local EPO.

They support a TON of features, including addressable master/slave networking and the use of serial flow control for transparent half-duplex operation. They operate in the 900mhz band, which is a pretty serious band to mess around in without a license, but there are some bytes of the band allocated for amateur radio and low power license-free radio, so experimentation with these should be A-OK as long as we're careful. With a couple of watts at 900mhz and the right antenna, they should be able to hit a couple miles range.

I've built the serial from the diagram in the PDF manual, but haven't gotten it to communicate with the programing software yet. I keep getting errors, Once the summer spins up I look forward to getting these things talking to each other. I have no particular application for them per-se, but I sure do like messing around with radio gear.

Updates on these Data Radio modems will come!


1 comment:

  1. Excellent information about data radio modems. Data radio modems are used in many different applications. It contains industrial automation, utilities and automated warehousing.


    Data Radio

    ReplyDelete